Published: 01/12/2018 - By Jason Palmer
Finding a job can be tormenting, especially when you have limited work experience. Some people dream of working in their respective field while others dream of something extraordinary. And when you feel like engaging yourself to a hobby you like such as playing basketball, you might end up wondering if there’s any chance that you can work in the NBA.
Working in the NBA is never an easy job. When you’re a graduate of sports management, your initial job is to become a coach. But applying for it may not be easy because of the strong level of competition in the industry. The idea that you may be hired or not is still uncertain, but what’s important there is that you tried your best. You can vote for substitutes and try to get a job from there too.
Skills Needed by the NBA
Just like any other jobs available, an employer in the NBA will always require skills that are needed before hiring an employee. Employers will also look at the pre-existing skills of the applicant and see if they are a great help to the company when the time comes. Here are the skills that an applicant must possess before landing a job in the NBA.
- Strong leadership skills
- Dedication to basketball and the team
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Knowledge in the essential skills in playing basketball
- Love for basketball
- Familiarity with the affiliates
- Experience in working with an NBA Franchise
The National Basketball Association is a large organization that has more than 30 affiliates. Some of the available jobs that are linked to the NBA can be found on websites like Craigslist. Once you’re hired in any job that is affiliated with the NBA, it can be used as your experience in applying directly to the NBA. Below are the available jobs that is affiliated with the NBA.
- Part-time or Full-time Security Officer
- Youth Basketball Coach
- SMILE Agent
- Mobile Content Coordinator
- Full Stack Developer
What You Need to Know to Get a Job in the NBA
Knowing how to play is the most important key to get a job in the NBA. If you don’t know how to play, don’t worry. As mentioned above, you can still get a job in the NBA in a different path. Here’s what you need to know in order to get a job in the NBA.
- Start yourself as an assistant intern coach and understand the game at a higher level.
- Be a basketball blogger and an analytic.
- Make great videos about the NBA and be willing to work for free.
- Join the summer league and meet people to find connections.
- Have a good sense of becoming a sports reporter or TV announcer.
- Apply as an NBA agent.
The only way to make your life up is to start from the bottom. If you decide to work in the NBA, you must be willing to understand and do whatever is asked of you to do so. It may sound difficult to start applying for a job in the NBA, but knowing what to do first is essential before taking any steps.